General information on COVID-19

Risk areas

COVID-19: International risk areas and particularly affected areas in Germany (source: Robert Koch Institute. Last update on 27.3.2020)

Risk countries are areas where ongoing widespread or ongoing community spread can be suspected. In order to determine this, the Robert Koch Institute uses various criteria (e.g. frequency of illness, dynamics of the daily reported case numbers, measures (e.g. quarantine of entire cities or areas), exported cases to other countries/regions). The situation is reassessed by the Robert Koch Institute on a daily basis, if necessary the risk countries are adjusted.

International Risk areas

  • Egypt
  • In France: Île-de-France and Grand Est region (this region includes Alsace, Lorraine and Champagne-Ardenne)
  • Iran
  • Italy
  • Austria
  • In South Korea: Daegue and the Gyeongsangbuk-do Province (North Gyeongsang)
  • In Switzerland: Cantons of Tessin, Waadt and Geneva
  • In Spain: the regions of Madrid, Navarra, La Rioja, Paìs Vasco
  • In South Korea: Daegue and province Gyeongsangbuk-do (North-Gyeongsang)
  • In the USA: Federal states California, Washington and New York and New Jersey
  • Particularly affected areas in Germany: County of Heinsberg (North Rhine-Westphalia)

What can I do if I think I have the symptoms of coronavirus infection?

The Federal Ministry of Health presents three criteria which you should check in case of suspicion. If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection (e.g. coughing) AND have been in a risk area in the last 14 days OR if contact with a person suffering from coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is less than 14 days ago, then contact with a doctor is recommended. Do not go to a doctor's office yourself to avoid infecting other people in an emergency, but call the doctor first (source: Authority for Health and Consumer Protection):

Hotline for Hamburg: +49 40 428 284 000

Medical emergency service (Note: It is best to call from a landline phone. Calls from mobile phones remain on hold longer, as the missing area code means that the local emergency service responsible must be determined first): 116 117

First aid emergency (!only for potentially life-threatening emergencies!): 112

Hamburg residents with relevant symptoms who have recently travelled to affected areas or who have had contact with people who may be infected can obtain advice by telephone at their doctor's surgery or at the numbers listed above. The Hamburg Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians is currently preparing the possibility of testing at home after consulting the emergency medical service (116 117) in order to avoid further contact with other people.

What should I do if I had contact with a person infected with the coronavirus?

Persons who have had personal contact with a person diagnosed with the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 should immediately - even if they do not show any symptoms of illness - contact their local health authority. The responsible local health authority can be determined via a database of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI).

Where can I get information about the coronavirus? (Update March 04, 2020)

A good compilation of the known facts about the coronavirus can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute.

The Authority for Health and Consumer Protection also provides information on the topic, including specific information for Hamburg:

For MPI-M employees: Find further information in the intranet of the Max Planck Society: